Pat Lovell Holiday Classic
Pat Lovell was a three-year varsity starter in football and wrestling and received numerous post season honors including three-time Pacific Coast Heavyweight Wrestling Champion.
After leaving Cal Poly, Pat was the 1961 National AAU Heavyweight Greco-Roman Champion. From 1961-1964 he was the National AAU place winner in the same division. From 1961 to 1962 Pat was on the USA World Team and in 1964 he was on the Olympic team. He was also an eight-time AAU All-American winner. In 1995 he was the National Scholastic Federation Official of the year, the USA Wrestling "Man of the Year" and was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. In 2000, he was inducted into the California Wrestling Hall of Fame. Pat has been the President of the USA Wrestling Officials Association. He has been officiating high school football for over 35 years and wrestling matches for over 44 years.
From 1976 to 2000 he was a coach of football, wrestling and softball at Cabrillo Community College in Santa Cruz, California. He resides in Santa Cruz with his wife Joy. He has 3 children and 2 grandchildren.
HOLIDAY WRESTLING CLASSIC
(Formerly the California Coast Wrestling Classic)
December 28-29, 2017
For the past 48 years, the beautiful coastal region of Santa Cruz County has hosted one of the longest running holiday wrestling tournaments in California. Once again, this tradition-rich tournament will offer elite competition through a full double elimination bracket to ensure all of your wrestlers get at least two matches.
TOURNAMENT WEBSITE: http://patlovellclassic.com (Online Pre-Registration available)
Includes all detailed tournament information, including participating teams, tournament history, host hotel information and special team rates, etc.
64-man double elimination. Don’t worry, we utilize trackwrestling.com to keep things smooth: 10 Mats and 2 Gyms
12/28- Thursday Weigh-Ins are at 9am to help support any teams that have to make a long drive.
12/29 – Friday Weigh-ins are at the typical 7am time slot.
1. Top 8 - Champions receive trophies, wall bracket, and a CCWC T-shirt.
2. Placers 2-8 get custom medals from the infamous Hasty Awards Co.
3. 2 OW's (Upper and Lower)
4. Quickest Fall Award
5. Pat Lovell Character Award
6. TOP 5 TEAMS receive trophies…and FREE ENTRY into next year’s CCWC tourney!!!
TOP 10 REASONS …to put this prestigious tournament on your schedule this season:
1. ENTRY FEE ONLY $325. for this 2-day event. This is perhaps the lowest entry fee for any 2-day tournament in the state!
2. SPACIOUS MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR COMPLEX. The PAC Center at Aptos HS is only 8 years old, has an expansive lobby area for vendors, and a state-of-the art movie theater directly across the lobby of the main gym. Unlimited parking space, and much bigger than old tourney site at Scotts Valley.
3. MOVIE THEATER (inside PAC CENTER). The past two years, fans, coaches and wrestlers have enjoyed special screenings of critically acclaimed wrestling movies such as “Vision Quest”, “Takedowns and Falls” and “Pinned”. Many spectators seemed relieved to have the opportunity of giving their backs a rest in between rounds by taking in these fantastic portraits on high school wrestling. Once again, we’ll be presenting another hit documentary on high school wrestling this year throughout the first day of competition.
4. TOP 5 TEAMS EARN FREE ENTRY into next year’s California Coast Wrestling Classic!!! Based on last year’s team scoring race, each of these teams earned FREE entry into this year's tourney: CLOVIS, LIBERTY, MADERA, GOLDEN VALLEY and PITMAN.
5. SPECIAL COACHES GIFT. Each year, every Head Coach walks away with something special (Have been CCWC Dri-Fits, Polos, Coffee Mugs, etc)
6. HOST HOTEL (Best Western/ Seacliff Inn…(800) 367-2003) is just one block away from Seacliff State Beach (and one mile from event site). So, if you are from an area that doesn’t get to see the Pacific Ocean much, then a holiday wrestling event by the beach might be a cool way to build team camaraderie. The world-famous Santa Cruz Boardwalk & Amusement Park is only 15 minutes away as well!
7. COACHES SOCIAL held at host hotel immediately after the first night of competition. Complimentary appetizers and libations to all coaches.
8. Longtime tournament director, and former U.S. Greco Olympian (’64) Pat Lovell will continue to provide his 30+ years of wisdom to the tournament in an advisory capacity to ensure that this is a well-run, top-notch tournament.
9. TWO “WILD-CARD” WRESTLERS allowed per team! Each team has the unique opportunity to bring 2 additional non-scoring “Wild-Card” wrestlers for ANY weight class. You must identify who will be your scoring wrestlers, but every wrestler on your roster will be eligible to medal. In addition, “Wild-Card wrestlers” will be on the same side of the bracket as your starter for that weight class. They WILL be separated as far apart as possible, however.
THE ENTRY FEE IS ONLY $325.00 per team.
Please make checks payable to: Aptos High Wrestling.
There will be NO refunds for any team that drops out of the tournament after December 10th.
All in all, our ongoing goal is filled with aggressive simplicity…and that is to not just put on your ordinary high school wrestling tournament, but to create a festive atmosphere that leaves you saying “Wow, that was quite an event!” If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me!
Yours through Wrestling,
Head Wrestling Coach - Aptos High School
Cell: (831) 535-3791
Fax: (831) 688-6430